Participant Info for Dance Immersion
(Wednesday - Thursday version)
You may arrive anytime after 12pm on Wednesday. You may stay at Harbin until 11pm on Thursday. (If you want to extend your stay, that must be handled directly with Harbin. Please see our stayover info page for more details.)
Our Cancellation Policy
- Registrations are not transferable to another person nor to a future retreat.
- Cancellations up through 72 hours before the retreat check-in start (1pm on Sunday) will receive a refund minus a $25 nonrefundable deposit/administrative fee. Cancellations 72 to 24 hours before check-in start (1pm on Tuesday) will receive a refund minus a $50 nonrefundable deposit/administrative fee.
- Cancellations after 1pm on Tuesday are nonrefundable.
- To cancel, you must send an email to: email@example.com
What to Bring
- Personal bedding (sleeping bag, pad, and pillow)
- Tent (optional: see below for sleeping options)
- A dish to share for the Wednesday evening potluck, with enough servings so that there will likely be leftovers for the Thursday lunch potluck (see below for more details). Also, be sure to bring whatever serving plate/bowl and spoon is needed for your dish, labeled with your name.
- Layers of clothes as appropriate for the season (If needed, we do have air conditioning inside the Conference Center)
- Clothes comfortable to dance in (Indoors we dance with both tops and bottoms on, except During Ecstatic dance some people go topless
- Towels for soaking and bathing
- Water bottle (But not glass! Harbin does not allow glass anywhere near its pools)
- Slip on shoes/flip flops, hiking shoes
- yoga mat
- Sun hat, sunscreen, non-toxic bug repellent (if the weather calls for these)
- Snacks/favorite hydrating beverages (and a small cooler for any refreshments you want to keep cold)
- A favorite pair of swim goggles for Dolphin Dance! (and we have some extra goggles too)
Things to leave at Home
• Alcohol, cannabis, and illegal substances/drugs
• Candles, incense, camp stoves, or anything that has a flame
• Please help us take loving care of any chemically-sensitive participants by not using any scented products, even natural essential oils. This includes perfumes & colognes, as well as lotions, shampoos, conditioners, etc.
• Pets are not allowed. Pets may not be left in vehicles.
Dance Immersion is "tech-free". Many of us are attending because we want to unplug and be away from tech distractions. So smart phones, laptops, iPads, iPods, and tablets must stay packed away. Also, to honor people's privacy, photography is not permitted at Harbin.
Please do right for the environment (and save money!) by planning to carpool with as many people as possible. Arrange your carpool directly with other friends who are coming, and feel free to post carpool offers/requests on the Facebook event page or our carpool/rideshare page.
- Arrive any time after 12pm, preferably by 7pm. We have our opening circle/orientation for the retreat at 8:15pm.
- Check-in as soon as you arrive, directly with Dance Immersion staff at the Conference Center (Look for the Conference Center driveway, which is a right turn a few hundred yards before Harbin's main entry kiosk. Then turn left and drive up to the end of the road. There will be a check-in table in front of the Conference Center or right inside the main hall.)
- Our potluck dinner is from 6:00 to 7:15pm.
We don't do catered meals in order to keep Dance Immersion super affordable and so participants may accommodate their own food preferences. Dinner on Wednesday and lunch on Thursday are community potluck style. For your other meals while at Dance Immersion, here are yummy options:
- Bring some food to prepare and/or snacks
- Eat at the Harbin Restaurant or cafe (See here for more details)
- Take out from the Harbin Market (See here for more details)
NOTE: We do not have any food prep facilities at the Conference Center, but you are welcome to use the Fern Community Kitchen up at mainside, which is a 10 minute walk each way. (Our potlucks are not vegetarian, but Fern Kitchen is vegetarian-only.) Also, the Conference Center now has just one modest refrigerator with only enough space for your Saturday potluck items. Bring a small cooler if you need to keep any personal snacks, supplies, or drinks cold.
For the potluck meals, we provide the plates, forks, cups, and napkins. Each participant should bring 8-12 servings of their dish to share--more is better so we have plenty of leftovers for the Thursday lunch potluck. It's really best to bring something 100% ready to serve (including any slicing & dicing) so you don't have to go up to Fern kitchen for food prep right before the potluck. Bring whatever serving plate/bowl is needed for your potluck dish, as well as serving utensils, all labeled with your name. (Note: we will not have individual eating bowls, so please don't bring soup or stew.)
For the Thursday lunch potluck, we will dine on leftovers from the Wednesday dinner plus anything else you'd like to contribute..
For these community potlucks, please bring something you find personally nourishing. Keep in mind our community is very health conscious--we prefer food that is fresh, whole, sustainably-produced, and organic whether it's appetizer, salad, main course, or dessert. Please also note that many of us are vegetarian, gluten-free, and/or free of processed sugar. That being said, whatever you bring to nourish yourself and share will be welcomed.
Sleeping Options at the Conference Center
- Indoor Sleeping deck: There is a large indoor sleeping deck to set up your pad and sleeping bag.
- Main Hall: Sleeping is available in the spacious main hall. You would set up your pad and sleeping bag after the evening dance is over.
- Tent: You may camp in your own tent. There are campsites along the creek and on the hill. Be sure to ask us for a pink camping pass to tie to your tent when you check-in.
- Camper/Van/SUV: If you want to stay overnight in your vehicle, please let us know when you check-in. Note: our parking passes are only valid for the Conference Center parking lot about 1/4 mile down the road from the Conference Center, not up at mainside. Also, we do not have space at the Conference Center for vehicle camping, nor does Harbin allow it along the access road.
- RV: RVs up to 24 feet in length are permitted at Harbin, but RVs are not ideal because of limited parking, especially near the Conference Center. You will have to park away from the Conference Center, as far as a 10-15 minute walk.
Note: Private bedrooms and dorm spots at Harbin mainside are available for a separate cost. Those reservations are made directly with Harbin Hot Springs. Please see their website for details: www.harbin.org
About Mainside Harbin Resort
A 5-10 minute walk up the road from the Conference Center is the public area of the Harbin Resort, which you are welcome to visit and enjoy.
Facilities at the mainside area include two warm pools, a swimming pool, a cold plunge, a very hot pool, a steam room, and a sauna.
Connecting with Friends who are staying at mainside Harbin
You might run into friends who are staying at mainside rather than attending Dance Immersion with us. You are, of course, welcome to socialize with them as much as you like up at mainside. They are not permitted to come down to the Conference Center or surrounding grounds at any time (except for Thursday evening Unconditional Dance). Please help us honor the container of Dance Immersion by not testing the Conference Center visitation policy. Harbin has serious consequences for anybody who visits the Conference Center who is not a Dance Immersion participant..
If you are bringing child(ren) to the retreat
Each child of walking age or older needs to be registered and paid in full. You must take full and active responsibility for your child's behavior (and volume) so as not to disrupt the experience of the other participants, whether in the pools, at the dances, during yoga, or when people are trying to sleep. Also, please familiarize yourself with Harbin's rules regarding children, which can be found on this page: Before your Visit. Please note that Harbin requires adult supervision of children at all times.
Directions to Harbin Hot Springs
From San Francisco/Marin via Santa Rosa
Drive north on US-101 through Santa Rosa.
Exit at River Road/Mark West Road.
Turn right on Mark West Springs Road. This road becomes Porter Creek Road after
about 5 miles, and eventually ends at a flashing red light after another 4 miles.
Turn left onto Petrified Forest, following signs for Calistoga, for approx. 5 miles.
Turn left onto Foothill Blvd/CA-128, and drive less than a mile.
Turn right onto Tubbs Lane, and drive for 1.3 miles.
Turn left onto CA- 29, driving 15 miles into Middletown. (This is a curvy, mountainous
See directions from Middletown below.
From the East Bay via Napa Valley
Take I-80 east past the town of Vallejo.
Exit at Marine World Parkway/CA-37 toward Napa, and drive 2.5 miles.
Turn Right on CA- 29, driving for 39 miles.
Turn Right on CA-29/Lincoln Ave, through the town of Calistoga, driving 18 miles to Middletown. (This is a curvy, mountainous road.)
See directions from Middletown below.
(In the Napa Valley, you have the option of taking the Silverado Trail instead of the traffic-heavy CA-29. Turn right to leave CA-29 at Trancas, then turn left on Silverado heading north. It's worth the effort, and it has some great valley views.)
Drive North on I-5 for 58 miles to the town of Williams.
Exit West on CA- 20 for 37 miles.
Turn Left onto CA- 53, which turns into CA-29, into Middletown.
See directions from Middletown below.
Once you arrive in Middletown...
Arriving in Middletown turn west onto Hwy 175.
Drive three short blocks to Barnes St. (Big Canyon Rd.) and turn right.
Drive 1.2 miles to Harbin Springs Road, turning left at the fork at the top of the hill.
Take the first driveway on the right to get to the conference center (if you see the
gatehouse, you’ve gone too far, but the gatekeeper will point you in the right direction).
See map (on Harbin website).